Saturday 10 December 2011

Universal Discovery.

Universal Discovery is my new corp in EvE online. We are not part of an alliance yet but on my 3rd day here, which was yesterday, something amazing happened.

So I was doing some scanning in Botane which is the system I do most of my harvesting in, and I discovered a wormhole and I jumped through. Now whenever you discover wormholes they usually take you to a system with no security, meaning PvP will be possible without CONCORD.


I jumped through and warped to a very strange looking planet. But I also discovered that I did not bookmark the location of the wormhole to get back out, since there are no stargates in the system. I alerted my corp and I waited for help and tried to scan out the wormhole again.


Soon, after about 5 minutes of scanning, I realised that I was not alone in the system. There was a group of 5 people, and they were hunting me like prey. I was warp scrambled and my ship was destroyed. However, I managed to escape in my pod. Now when you die in EvE you have the potential to lose so much which makes you really desperate not to die. Now, I was trapped in this system with no map, no scanners to find the wormhole out, no weapons and no ship. I literally learnt what it was like to be stranded.

This event turned into a race between the attackers and my corp. My corp was rushing to get to Botane and scan out that wormhole to save me, and the attackers where rushing to get my killed. They obviously knew that my corp was comming.

It was a very blood rushing event because I was constantly on the run from around 5-7 attackers in my pod. Usually you can always outrun a single person in a pod, since you can instantly warp. However, some of them started to wait at certain planets so when I warped to them, they could already be waiting for me.

Eventually I was caught and killed.

But it was so much fun. That urge of survivability in this harsh universe inspires me to play. The very fact that I had fear emotions because I was being chased while having fun is a feeling that most other games can't do. Like in WoW, dieing is no big deal. You just run back which makes dieing in WoW just something that happens. In EvE death IS a big deal and you strive to avoid it.

That's just one example in EvE that makes it truly the best game I have ever played. Yes a death, that cost me 2 weeks of training time, and I enjoyed every second of it. It was so much fun.

I look foward to many more awesome events to come with my new corp. Universal Discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment